- Alley Access
- Shared Cost Sidewalk Program
- Links & Files
- Menu Infrastructure Fund
- Vacant & Abandoned Properties
- Infrastructure Projects
- Damen / Elston / Fullerton Intersection Project
- Halsted Bridge Reconstruction
- Installation of a New Tumbling Basin
- Kenmore Ave. and Belden Ave. Water Project
- Kingsbury Reconstruction
- Lincoln Ashland Belmont Intersection Improvement
- Lister Avenue Reconstruction
- METRA-UP North Line Bridge Reconstruction Update
- New Water & Sewer Main Installation- N. Hoyne (W. Walton- W. Cortez)
- New Water Main Installation N. Leavitt/ W. School/ N. Hamilton/ W. Roscoe
- New Water Main Installation- N. Bosworth (W. Wrightwood – W. Diversey)
- New Water Main Installation- N. Rockwell ( W. Logan- W. Fullerton)
- New Water Main Installation- N. Surrey (W. Fullerton- W. Altgeld); W. Montana (Racine to Surrey)
- New Water Main Installation- N. Western ( W. Diversey- W. Roscoe)
- New Water Main Installation- W. Diversey (N. Racine- N. Sheffield)
- New Water Main Installation- W. Oakdale/ W. George/ W. Wolfram (N. Honore- N. Damen)
- New Water Main Project- N. Oakley from W. Addison to W. Cornelia
- Sewer Installation on N. Oakley from W. Fullerton to W. Belden
- Sewer Installation on Seminary (Lill to Lincoln)
- Water Main Installation – Bloomingdale Ave. (Damen Ave.- Wood St.)
- Water Main Installation – N. Southport (Fullerton to Webster)
- Water Main Installation on W. Nelson St. from Ravenswood to Ashland
- Water Main Installation W. George Street, from N. Lakewood Avenue to N. Halsted Street
- Water Main Installation Western Avenue Project
- Water Main Installation- N. Leavitt (W. Addison- W. Belmont)/ W. School (N. Leavitt- N. Hoyne)/ N. Hamilton (W. Addison-W. School)/ W. Roscoe (N. Hamilton-N. Leavitt)
- Water Main Installation- W. Altgeld from W. Wrightwood- N. Marshfield
- Water Main Installation- W. Barry ( N. Southport- N. Kenmore)
- Water Main Installation- W. Fletcher (Ravenswood to Paulina)
- Water Main Installation- W. Oakdale ( N. Lakewood- N. Seminary)
- Western Avenue Corridor Improvement Project
- Kingsbury & Lakewood Railroad Spurs
Western Avenue Corridor Improvement Project
Western Avenue Viaduct Construction Update for week of 7/25 /16
Starting the week of July 25th, construction is scheduled to switch between the Western Avenue Bridge over the Chicago River and Roscoe Street. At this time traffic will shift to the west side of Western Avenue and an additional lane northbound and southbound will be opened north of the river bridge. Work will begin on the eastside half of the roadway with sewer, curb and sidewalk improvements. The Contractor, FH Paschen, and the Engineer, Burns & McDonnell, will be on‐ site to work with all businesses to minimize construction impacts and maintain access.
If you should have any questions during this time, please contact the following:
FH Paschen – Steve Percic ‐ 773‐230‐9507
Burns & McDonnell – Shelli Schweickert – 630‐514‐2320
Western Avenue Viaduct Construction Update for week of 5/16 /16
Construction on Western Avenue requires sewer work to occur in the middle of the Belmont intersection. Unfortunately, based on the depth and the location of the new connection the work will affect Belmont traffic for approximately one week.
The current schedule for this work is:
On Monday 5/16 and Tuesday 5/17, traffic on Belmont will be reduced to a single lane in each direction through the Western intersection. Left turns will be restricted during this time.
On Wednesday 5/18, westbound Belmont & Clybourn traffic will be prevented from crossing through the Western Avenue intersection. Traffic will be detoured north on Western to Roscoe and south on Campbell back to Belmont. See the attached detour for clarification. We anticipate the detour being in place for 3 – 5 days. Eastbound Belmont traffic will be allowed to pass through the intersection, however, left turns will be restricted.
This work will affect the CTA bus stop at the northwest corner of Belmont. The CTA is aware of this work and will be posting the appropriate route modifications.
Western Avenue Viaduct Closure
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) announced that the Western Avenue viaduct, which opened in 1961, will be permanently closed on March 1. The viaduct will be demolished and replaced by a new five-leg at-grade intersection at Western, Belmont and Clybourn and is expected to be substantially complete by summer 2017. The demolition of the viaduct will occur during the first weekend of the project and will require the full closure of Western to through traffic between Nelson and George Streets as well as the intersection at Belmont. After the weekend closure, there will be one lane of traffic open on Western Avenue in each direction for the first five months, with two lanes of traffic in each direction expected, until the project is complete.
Please access the following link for additional details:
The existing Western Avenue overpass was built in 1961 in part, to serve visitors to the adjacent Riverview Amusement Park. The overpass runs for approximately 1,100 feet between Nelson and Roscoe. The Chicago Department of Transportation reports that after nearly 50 years, the overpass is nearing the end of its lifespan.
A series of public meetings preceded the development of a plan to remove the overpass and improve this segment of Western Avenue with new sidewalks, landscaping, and the capacity to accommodate three continuous lanes of traffic in each direction during peak traffic periods.
The Chicago Department of Transportation hosted an open house at Lane Tech High School on January 11, 2016. This open house was designed to provide information on the plans and timing of the project.
The following links summarize information from prior community meetings and outreach events: